One short day in the Emerald City
One short day full of so much to do
Ev’ry way that you look in the city
There’s something exquisite you’ll want to visit before the day’s through.
One thing I have learnt about using herbs and supplements is to use them in synergistic combinations for overall health support. Green Vitality Superfood Blend unites herbs from the land, sea and air – matcha, spirulina and moringa – for an emerald chloro-filled all-round alkaline tonic. Blend a spoonful into your morning smoothie or overnight bircher, it will instill you with focused energy so you can be as productive as possible. Don’t we all agree with Elphaba, Glinda and the tourists of Emerald City that everyday is “one short day full of so much to do?!”
Nervous Support: Matcha – L-theanine
From the land. Matcha is green tea leaves that are shade-grown several weeks before harvesting. This slows down photosynthesis, and stimulates a buildup of chlorophyll, the amino acid L-theanine and antioxidants. The physiological effects of L-theanine are to increase alpha brain wave activity and promote relaxation, creativity and calmness. At the same time, L-theanine counters the stimulating action of caffeine in green tea. This produces what tea lovers call “alert calmness.”
Blood & Body Builder: Spirulina – complete protein & iron
From the sea. Spirulina is a multicellular filamentous blue-green algae with symbiotic nitrogen-fixing and photosynthetic bacteria. Spirulina contains usually high amounts of protein, between 55-70 percent by dry weight. It is a complete protein and superior to standard plant proteins, such as that from legumes.
Other nutrients from spirulina are essential fatty acids, B vitamins, photosynthetic pigments and a rich source of the minerals potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, selenium and zinc.
Adaptogen: Moringa – the all-rounder
From the air. Moringa oleifera is crowned the Miracle Tree for its wondrous natural healing and medicinal properties and hardiness. The leaves are particularly high in calcium, iron and vitamin content.
Together, this balanced blend will tingle your taste buds with all six tastes – sweet and salty spirulina, bitter matcha and moringa, and pungent and astringent moringa – a culinary tip from Ayurvedic cooking.
Try this blend in Emerald City smoothie for focused energy to conquer your tasks for every "one short day". Pineapple creates healthful digestive fire (agni), while avocado adds healthy fats and balances pineapple's acidity with creaminess. The bittersweet flavours meld perfectly.
- 9 tsp matcha powder
- 5 tsp moringa powder
- 4 tsp spirulina or cracked cell wall chlorella powder
- 180 g (3/4 cup) pineapple or cold-pressed pineapple juice for a smoother texture
- 160 g (2/3 cup) coconut water
- 72 g (1/2 no) ripe avocado
- 30 g (1 cup) baby spinach
- 15 g (1 tbsp) lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp Green Vitality Superfood Blend (see recipe above)
- 4 drops peppermint spirits or handful of fresh mint
- In a bowl, combine the powders and stir to a uniform consistency. Transfer to a spice container and store refrigerated for up to 3 months. This recipes makes about 6 tablespoons (12 servings) of powder.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Do not overblend or it will warm up. Serve as a drink in a glass or as an indulgent smoothie bowl with toppings - sliced fruit and grawnola.